2023 IVCA Scholar Program – Now accepting applications!
September 14, 2022
The IVCA Scholar Program is intended to create an inclusive industry with more gender, racial and ethnic diversity by providing undergraduate students exposure to a possible career in the venture capital/private equity industry.
The IVCA Scholarship provides undergraduate students a very rare opportunity to be placed with a venture capital or private equity firm for 10 weeks. In addition, Scholars will participate in informational & training sessions at a variety of investment firms and at professional service providers that partner with Venture Capital & Private Equity investors (accounting, investment banking, valuation, legal, consulting etc.).
This program offers a 10-week, deep dive into the industry with significant exposure at a venture capital or private equity firm. Assuming successful program completion, students will be granted a $10,000 stipend during the summer. Applications are due by close-of-business October 14th, 2022.
Program details available below and HERE. Please pass this along to students you think might be interested!
- The IVCA Scholarship will be 10 weeks in duration beginning June 12th, 2023 and ending August 18th, 2023.
- Firms will schedule specific in-office expectations with the student.
- Scholars will also be expected to participate in all coaching/training and career development events and visits to participating firms during the summer. This is typically one-half day per week.
- IVCA Scholars will be placed at a venture capital or private equity firm and responsibilities will vary by student experience and firm requirements.
- No housing or transportation will be provided.
- Scholars will be expected to successfully complete an online Financial Modeling course with certification (Course is paid for by IVCA) PRIOR to starting the program. Students will be enrolled in the class upon acceptance to the IVCA Scholar Program.
- This is not a remote program. IVCA Scholars will be expected to maintain housing in the Chicago metro area during the duration of the program period.
NOTE: This is not a hiring track program.Selection criteria:
- Students must attend a university in Illinois or be a permanent resident of Illinois.
- Strong Communication, Analytical and Excel skills.
- Some Finance and Accounting coursework preferred.
- Has completed at least 2 years of undergraduate coursework. Preference given to rising third years.
- Is a US Citizen.
- Qualifies as a person of color according to US Census Bureau (E.g. African-American, Hispanic, Native American/Alaskan Native) OR is a woman.
Application Elements must be submitted as one PDF document–
- Student’s Contact Information (Home and School); preferred email, phone numbers*
- Resume or CV.*
- List of classes (through current term) and grades in each completed class.*
- Description of student’s general Excel skills and experiences with financial modeling, market analysis using specific examples.*
- Essay (500 words or fewer) describing applicant’s interest in venture capital and/or private equity and how it ties into their career plans.*
*Applications that do not contain ALL of the 5 elements outlined above will not be considered.
All applications should be sent as one document to ivca.scholar@illinoisVC.org.
- Applications will be pre-screened by IVCA and presented to all participating member firms.
- After participating firms identify the candidates they wish to meet, IVCA will let the student know.
- Candidates are expected to manage the scheduling of meetings with firms in a timely fashion.
- Each participating firm will select their top choice student(s). Interviewing candidates may receive more than one offer and each is free to accept whichever s/he prefers.
- Candidates who do not respond in a timely fashion to information and requests will not be considered.
Note: IVCA Member “friends and family” are not eligible.
Leave a Comment